Question of the Week

AWWWW YEAH, it’s Question of the Day time! Every week I’ll post a new thought-provoking question, usually related to storytelling. Post your answers & discuss! :dancer:

1 Like

Question of the Day: 3/10

For writers, when you suddenly get inspired with a storyline, do you:
A - Get annoyed that you’re busy with something else and don’t have time to start writing. Then when you do, you forget what it was about :joy:
B - Just write the plot down at least cause you don’t want this feeling to go away
C - Think more thoroughly about it, then realize the plot isn’t as great as you thought
D - It’s not that important. I can always come up with another one
E - Something else? Explain! :smiley:

3 Likes

B - I write it down into my doc file called “plot ideas,” then forget all about it while I work on my current projects, and once I might have some headspace to start a new project, I read through them, and usually am surprised at myself: huh? That’s not even a half-bad idea :smiley:

3 Likes

A - cause I have a tendency to do this a lot. I get a thought or a dream in my head, then want to write it down (I always forget I have a phone :rofl:) and get distracted by something else.

4 Likes

When they are storylines that I dreamed, and woke up in the middle of the night convinced they’re amazing it is always C.

But typically it’s E: I will write down, tops, one scene, not always even that, but mostly tell myself bits and pieces of my favorite bits as a story in my head for a while.

4 Likes

Mostly B, but really all of these depending on my mood and how busy I am. My Evernote is full of “B” ideas, mostly pretty brief, some with more developed story outlines. I swear all my best ideas are “A”, but it’s probably not true.

3 Likes

B! I try and write the plot down and any important bits that make it magical.

But there’s also E: which for me is never forget the plot and keep getting the plot bunnies for it popping up in your head and it never leaves you alone!

2 Likes

B for me! Even if it’s just a few sentences that don’t make sense later, it might spark the same something or a new something. I had this slam poetry that I dreamt once that is just a mash of words. I read it a year later and was like, I don’t remember exactly what I was thinking but wow I feel something!

3 Likes

Always B. I can decide if it’s worth pursuing later. I might even use parts in other stories and scrap the original plot. Who knows? But it’s still creative material that may have potential to grow.

3 Likes

Heyo! B or C usually. I’ll jot down the keywords in any paper and I’ll dabble with the ideas later. At times, few ideas were straight up cringy lmao. What about you?

3 Likes

Probably E - Something else! LOL. My girlfriend also writes so when I come up with something I really like I tend to just… tell her about it and if we get to talking and it snowballs and I get really excited then I’ll write it down in a notes channel of our shared private Discord server :blush:

3 Likes

Question of the Day: 3/11

What is your favorite movie adaptation of a book? Why is it your favorite? …what about least favorite? :eyes:

2 Likes

B - I have a folder full of documents for ideas I came up with and played with for a few minutes/hours. Every time I have a gap in my writing schedule, I go to that folder and find the idea that grabs me the most.

3 Likes

Hmmm… favorite, I can’t really say. Some are really well made, but you see the differences, of course, to the book. I usually try to see the movie on its own and not compare them too much with each other - but of course, I can’t entirely avoid it.

I think The Green Mile was a pretty good adaptation, and they only left out a small part about the mouse of one of the prisoners.

My least favorite and what majorly enraged me: The Legend of the Seeker - It’s supposed to be that adaptation of one of my favorite fantasy storybook sagas, The Sword of Truth. BUT IT’S SOOOOOOOO BAD :confused: it’s totally out of order, and they tell things in the first few episodes that happen like in the last books… also it’s not made as an ongoing story, but rather episodic, which is just wrong :confused: but well, it#s from the director that made the Xena/Hercules show in the 90s… thought it would still work nowadays…

After two seasons, it was canceled.

I hope, though, that someone like the Game of Thrones creators will pick it up. The story is also finished, so they don’t have to make up an “awful” ending :smiley:

3 Likes

I did enjoy the movie adaptations of Harry Potter (unoriginal answer, I know😅) on the exception of Order of the Phoenix and the Deathly Hallows which missed out a lot considering the size of the books.

I wasn’t a fan of the Series of Unfortunate Events movie with Jim Carey as Count Olaf, but the series on Netflix was so accurate to the books I would recommend it to any fan of the series.

Another movie I wasn’t overly amazed by was Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant. The books by Darren Shan are a decent read but the movie was a let down. I’m hoping they’ll get another chance as a series on Netflix, or even if they chose to do his Demonata or Zom-B series, those would be good too😊

2 Likes

I really like the 1980 adaptation of The Shining. I felt the changes Kubrick and Johnson made really grounded the story and improved on the suspense. I certainly like it a lot more than the miniseries adaptation penned by King himself. I also really like Miike’s Audition, based on the Murakami novel.

Worst… Maybe I, Robot? It’s just got not much to do with Asimov’s work, and even putting that aside, I don’t like it.

2 Likes

My favorite movie adaptations would have to be the Hunger Games series. They managed to stay true to the source material in a lot of ways, and I really enjoy watching them.

My least favorite would have to be the Eragon movie. It was awful. The fandom does not claim it. There is no movie in Du Weldenvarden.

2 Likes

YES I really loved the Netflix series of Series of Unfortunate Events! I haven’t finished it yet but need to revisit it for sure.

LOL I love when fandoms just decide to ceremoniously wholesale reject an entry into the fandom. I get it. Sometimes it’s just… better to ignore it :joy:

1 Like

Question of the Day: 3/14

Challenge time! You have ONE question to ask someone about their OC (original character) in order better understand them. What do you ask?

3 Likes