Question of the Week

Reading my work out loud is part of my editing process and I do it often. It helps me catch errors I might have otherwise missed.

4 Likes

Lmao this 9-feet tall man had enough on his plate. Give him a strawberry cake and he’ll be happy like a pup :joy:

1 Like

Talk or mumble at times to myself. English isn’t my first language, and the sentences could be awkward or too formal without me realising it. So it does help. But I could never speak about mature scenes lol

1 Like

I definitely read out loud to myself as part of the writing process. It helps me to know if dialogue flows the way I’ve imagined it, if descriptions make sense, etc. For me, writing is like working on the intricate details of a larger painting, and reading out loud is like taking a few steps back and making sure it’s all coming together the way you envisioned it.

1 Like

Fair enough!! LOL I have definitely never read any of my own steamy stuff out loud :joy:

1 Like

I really like your painting analogy. That makes a lot of sense, especially when you think about how easy it is for us as authors (or painters!) to get hung up on one little corner of the overall painting.

Question of the Day: 3/17

Have you ever read something that depicted a place, time, group of people, etc. just so utterly wrong that it made you upset to read? What was it about? How did you react?

2 Likes

I haven’t encountered anything like that where i get upset. I just figure its the writer’s twist that got added to the story.

1 Like

Mainly in movies, I prefer to read fantasy, so I won’t get upset too much :rofl:

In movies/shows it’s usually the stuff related to science, medical or biological field… it’s hard to write about if you don’t do extended research/study it… but many try and fail :smiley:

Like… Resident Evil: How they run around in an office with the most dangerous virus on earth and then just “Ooppps! I let it drop! Sorry guys!”

That’s not how it works… that’s not how any of this works :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks! This is so true… and exactly what I meant! :grinning:
But I also NEVER read my hot scenes out loud! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Literally any story that talks about a character getting a (minor) concussion and then being cleared to drive the same day.

No. Just no.

I also get irrationally upset when characters say they want to get Chinese food because it’s their greasy guilty pleasure. I know they’re talking about American Chinese food, but dammit, they’re perpetuating the stereotype that all Chinese food is unhealthy and it drives me nuts

3 Likes

HAHAHA. Yes omg. I’ve seen plenty of action movies like that too, where somebody just drops their weapon for seemingly no reason :joy:

1 Like

OOOOH yeah that’s fair. Especially re: Chinese food, I can totally understand how that would be frustrating. Esp bc it usually comes across as meant to be kind of cute or something??

1 Like

Personally I always get upset when I read incorrect horse facts :joy: I read one thing where it mentioned that the horse was like, 19 hands tall? Except this horse wasn’t supposed to be a draft horse or any other FREAKING GIANT of a horse. Like - no. That would be a HUGE horse and you aren’t even gonna acknowledge that???

1 Like

Question of the Day: 3/18

Finish this sentence: “The one thing my non-writer friends / family will never understand is ______”

“The one thing my non-writer friends / family will never understand is that words don’t appear out of nowhere.”

2 Likes

How words will never fully capture our imagination, but we’re still trying our best to translate it.

1 Like

…that I enjoy writing.

I get asked that a lot.

3 Likes

WHAAAAT? They ask you if you like it? Do they doubt you? :joy: How Rude!!!

Question of the Day: 3/21

What is one genre that you have always wanted to try writing in but haven’t yet? What attracts you to it? Why haven’t you tried it yet?