Writing Challenges!

Dialogue Challenge

Using only dialogue, write a conversation that starts with the following piece of dialogue:
“How come you never told me?”

“Having a third nipple isn’t such a big deal. Why are you taking this so personally?”

“Because I love you! If you can’t tell me about this, what else are you not telling me about. Our wedding’s in a week from now and you spring this on me?”

“What-what are you saying? You want to call it off?!”

“You’ve given me no choice.”

“Babe, please. Don’t let my third nipple get in the way of our love and the beautiful life we’ll build together.”

“I don’t think I–what are you doing? Stop! Don’t take your shirt off. I mean it!”

“This is just something I was born with. It’s harmless.”

“Oh my God. It’s staring at me. Ah! It just winked! Why is it doing that? I think I’m going to puke.”

“You know what, if my nipples offend you that much, we don’t belong together anyway.”

“I’m so glad you said it.”

“Well frankly, I deserve better. Have a nice trip back to your galaxy and don’t let any asteroids hit you on the way out.”

Interplanetary marriages. They never last, do they?

2 Likes

LOL oh my GOSSSSHHH this killed me in the best way. I ship it, tbh.

1 Like

Thanks so much!
I wanted it to be chaotic :upside_down_face:

1 Like

“That I’m a guy?”

“I already knew that.”

“That I’m magnificent?”

“In your dreams.”

“That I’m funny?”

“More like boring.”

“Then told you what?”

“It’s your birthday.”

“That’s because I hate the idea of getting old. I want to stay looking great, with my amazing wavy hair, my flawless skin-”

“I’m sorry I asked.”

3 Likes

“Told you what?”
“That they are dead.”
“Who’s dead?”
“They are.”
“The Who?”
“What?”
“Oh, … what?”
“About what?”
“I told you about what… what?”
“Seriously? You can’t be straight with me?”
“I’m trying to… I didn’t tell you about… what?”
“That they are dead.”
“Who’s dead?”
“The Who’s dead? NO! THEY are dead. You know, THEM.”
“Necromongers? Of course they are dead. It’s part of becoming a Necro.”
“I give up.”
“Why?”
“Because you are not taking this seriously.”
“Seriously?”
“Seriously.”
“They are dead. Rosen-what’s-his-face and Gilden-whatever”
“Rosen? Gilden?”
“Well, if you don’t know them, that would explain why I never told you.”
“But I knew them, Horatio.”
“Hamlet, we both know that they were just passing acquaintances of yours.”
“Nonsense. They were my bosom-buddies!”
“I thought Ophelia was your ‘bosom-buddy’, wink, wink.”
“Her? Nope. Just a passing fancy.”
“Passing is right… didn’t she drown last week?”
“Seriously, Horatio?”
“What?”
“So, why did you never tell me?”
“What didn’t I tell you?”
“That Rosencrantz and Gilderstern were dead!”
“They are?”
“That’s what Yorick told me.”
“Yorick? He’s dead.”
“Really? I guess that’s why he didn’t say much else… talking skulls are funny that way.”
“Who are you and what have you done with Hamlet?”
“I’m not Hamlet?”
“You are Hamlet!”
“Oh, thank goodness… For a second I thought I might Rosenstern or Gildercrantz.”
“Who?”
“The two dead guys.”
“Wait… which two dead guys?”
“Gilderrosen and Crantzstern?”
“I don’t think that’s right.”
“Of course it isn’t right… we are talking about dead people!”
“We are? Why didn’t you ever tell me?”

(An homage to my favorite “wrong” play - Rosencrantz and Guilderstern are Dead. I had to stop somewhere… otherwise it would have just kept going!)

2 Likes

Entirely cute - Narcissism at its best!

“Told you what?”

“That you hate the dress that I’m wearing.”

“I don’t know. Perhaps it’s because you wore it while you crashed the cemetery gate.”

“I suck at driving. But at least you won’t die twice.”

“You mean we won’t die twice, innit, my love?”

“How did you know that? Never know you are a psychic.”

“I’m no psychic. I pieced the story of you from hearsay. Villagers found you lying by the mausoleum door, my favourite wine in your grasp.”

“I miss you. I miss your kisses. I’m sorry that our car crashed. I’m sorry that I killed you.”

“Wish I could forgive you. They still hurt, the wounds, the bruises you gave me. Even in my dying days, I still saw your lips smiling on his, tasting me in guilt and disgust.”

“I’m disgusting, I know. But I regretted the day you left. I cried and stared down the loaded gun and cried again. I died missing you. What more could you want?”

“Kill him like you killed me. Kill him… like you love me. Kill him, then I shall take your hand and lead you to our holy ground.”

2 Likes

My fingers proceed to tap the keys after a pause. Eve’s question is something I’m not prepared for. I don’t know how she knew.

Did I leave any clues behind? Perhaps a chain of reaction where she noticed that I diverted from my usual routine and thus, she traced back to the cause of it?

I ignore her and keep staring at my laptop screen, even though I can feel her burning glare on my head from behind.

Focusing on the codes in front of me, I blur out the senses around me; except the clacking sounds drifting through my eardrums. Through my mind. I couldn’t handle her anger. Her disappointment. Her chastisement. Her demand of compensation– Hmm. Is it really a compensation since they’re not hers to begin with?

The woes in my mind–

“KAI!” She snaps.

I let out a long groan and asks, “What do you mean by that?” Such a feeble attempt.

“Don’t be dramatic! Why you bought my favourite brand of cookies and finished them without me??”

3 Likes

lolllllllllllllllllll oh my god this was perfectly infuriating

1 Like

Hahahahaha. This was a great homage. Tom Stoppard would be proud!!

Oof. This was some big drama. I like the way you included some of the accents in here too, to give a sense of where these characters are from.

1 Like

LOL I was so invested in the drama of this right up until the end. I liked this unexpected turn though, it was refreshing! But also makes me wonder wtf Kai has been up to :thinking:

1 Like

Random Story Generator

Write a paragraph or a scene that incorporates the following three elements:

CONTEXT: At a restaurant in the middle of a break-up…
CHARACTER: …an anxious Hollywood agent…
EVENT: …saves the life of a random bystander.

:joy: Just a snippet. Kai was a professor who’s gotten kidnapped and forced to be a hacker for a heist group. Eve is the only one who he befriended with.

1 Like

I combined both the prompts, haha. Here goes:

“I didn’t want to hurt your feelings!”
“You’re saying I’m your brother?”
“So, see I will still love you, just in a different way.”
“How did you find out?”
“I… did a DNA test and it turns out we’re related!”
“When did you steal my DNA? You got me tested?”
“My dad’s a cop. Or our dad’s a cop.”
“Cuuuuut!”
“What now?”
“It’s ‘my dad’s a detective’. Not just a cop. A detective! Didn’t you read the script?”
“Oh course, but it’s so bad, I didn’t memorize every line. I got the jist.”
“Oh my god. We’re never going to finish this thing if you don’t care about the lines!”
“Well, then I quit! Find another ‘sister’ for this bozo.”
“Ahh! You! You there, yes you. How would you like to star in a movie? Yes, big money and it’ll be your big chance. I’m sure you’ll be better than the other fake. You’ll save this film. You have the face for it.”

1 Like

This was so entertaining, lol. I am rooting for the star that quit even though I don’t know any of the other context :joy: You nailed it

1 Like

I wish we could keep these writing challenges going.

hopefully someday, once the community manager is back into it :smiley: