Frequently Asked Questions

Writers

Q: Do I need to write an interactive story?

A: Absolutely not! While we love interactive stories and all that they offer, we get just as excited about traditional linear fiction. All storytelling can be good storytelling! Give us ALL THE STORIES (excuse the ALL CAPS we just get EXCITED when STORIES. 'cause STORIES!!!)

Q: How can I make sure my story is the best it can be?

A: Community, community, community! Tales is a community made by writers for writers. Legit, tho - we’ve got some of the nicest and most helpful writers you could ever meet. Plus we’ve got video tutorials for beginners on the website and plenty of threads on best practices.

Browse the Tales Writer categories, see what your fellow writers are up to, and when in doubt - post a thread and ask a question!

Q: What’s the best way to get readers to my story?

A: First things first - and first impressions matter! Make sure your first episode is doing all that sicknasty cool Tales stuff to get readers engaged right away and that it’s fully polished by getting feedback from the community by posting in the Writers category on the forum.

Share your story around on social media and be sure to tag the official Tales accounts - we might just repost! Keep your eyes peeled for author dashboards coming soon, which will show you your reader data and allow you to pinpoint exactly where you might need to beef up your story.

Q: How much of my story is really mine? Does Tales own the rights?

A: We gotchu. Indie authors retain 100% of their exclusive story rights! Your story is yours to do whatever you feel is best: go ahead and put it up on multiple platforms; just be sure you read the fine print at those other places - not everyone is as share-y as we are. For real tho? Your story is your baby. We don’t steal babies.

Q: How do I join the Discord server?

A: If you enjoy rapid-fire instant communication, we encourage you to hang out in our Discord server as well! Just click here.

Q: I’m having an issue with TalesCreator / one of my assets isn't displaying correctly . How do I get help?

A: Here’s what you do: search in the TalesCreator Tips & Troubleshooting category to see if anyone has already solved the issue you’re having. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, feel free to post a thread - either a member, community mod, or Tales Staff will get you answers lickety-split.

Q: I need an asset (background, character feature, etc.) that Tales doesn’t have in its library currently. How can I let you know?

A: Is there a hole in our library? How embarrassing! While we are not able to accept requests for individual asset pieces, if you’ve got an idea for some assets that would be highly reusable for the community we want to hear it! You can submit a request for asset packs on the website here.

Q: I have my own art that I’d like to use, is that okay?

A: We want to unlock all you incredibly talented people with all your draw-y things and paint-y things and everything in between… but not yet. UGC capabilities around art are coming soon! Sit tight.

Q: Do I need to have a cover for my story?

A: Covers are not currently required, but let’s face it - covers are the very first impression! Our data suggests that stories with covers perform much better than those without. Give yourself every advantage with an eye-catching cover! Just make sure you’ve got the rights to any cover images :slight_smile:

Readers

Q: How do I know when new episodes come out / when will my favorite story get updated?

A: Yep, we’re gonna say it: follow us on social media @talesfiction as we tease exciting episode drops - and be sure to keep your eyes on your favorite story in the app. Push notifications for new eps coming soon!

Stories are updated regularly, with new episodes every month (unless the author has experienced some kind of life issue - real life happens to writers too! I know, I know - unfair). Occasionally a title may be paused while the humans involved reconfigure for life events.

Tales Indie stories are updated whenever the author is able! While this can be frustrating, the best way to encourage an author to update their story is with kindness and patient enthusiasm. Just hit them with those big puppy dog eyes and say “pweeeeease”… couldn’t hurt, right?

Q: How do I become a writer for Tales?

A: Just click your heels and say “I love Tales” three times! Then register an account on talescreator.com and send us a pitch. We are perfecting our tools as we prepare to open up the waitlist to everyone - in the meantime, keep writing and you’ll be poised to take the Tales world by storm as soon we’re ready for you!

Q: How do I join the Discord server?

A: If you enjoy rapid-fire instant communication, we encourage you to hang out in our Discord server as well! Just click here.

Q: How can I talk to my favorite author and give them feedback?

A: If you send us a hand-addressed letter we’ll send you the secret combo that unlocks the Writer’s Pit, where we keep 'em all and you can just shout into the void and see what shouts back.

Okay, so don’t do that. The Writer’s Pit is a godless place. Instead, comment on their story thread here on the Tales forums! They might just poke their head in. Let them know what you loved and why - authors thrive on knowing that their work is being read. Don’t be afraid to leave suggestions on how a story might be improved, too!

Q: I’m having an issue with the app. How do I get help?

A: Ya hate to see it, but it happens: the best way to report an issue is by hitting the Support button from the app homepage and submitting a user ticket. Be sure to let us know what you were doing when the issue occurred, and we’ll deploy the nerd squad to fix it right up!

Q: I bought some gems / premium choice(s) but they aren’t behaving correctly. Who do I talk to?

A: Not to worry, we’re here to help! Go ahead and hit the Support button on the app to submit a user ticket and let us know what you expected to receive versus what actually happened. We’ll make it right!

3 Likes