Random facts that writing taught me

The Google history of any writer during the research phase is a terrifying and sacred place. But we also learn some really great - and kind of random - things while we try and get ourselves into the mind of someone else.

Post here with any random facts you know as a result of writing!

3 Likes

I know I have way too many to just list but I’ll start with something I learned recently:

There are many varieties of mushrooms that get classified as “truffles”, not just one, despite the fact that most restaurants will simply list it as “truffle” when noted as an ingredient and not the specific kind of truffle it is.

Also, dogs can hunt for truffles too - but they don’t have the same natural instincts for it as pigs do, because pigs eat them. The downside to the pigs is that, uh. They eat them. So you gotta put a muzzle on the pig :joy:

3 Likes

A writer’s block is when your imaginary friends in your head stop talking to you.

1 Like

In my sci fi Moon to Mars, I learned about a process to dispose of a dead body in space. It’s called dissolvation (or other terms) where a body is frozen (I.e. exposed to space), put in a bag, and vigorously shaken to where the body is pulverized to a dust. It’s like space cremation!

1 Like

The serial killer, Ted Bundy, was found to suffer from DID (multiple personality disorder) after his death. The psychiatrist who interviewed him a few times before his death, then got access to his letters and other writings afterward, identified at least five personalities. Only one of them was a killer. The others were pretty likable.

1 Like